Thursday, May 9, 2013

Dahlia Planting Time


Adding more flowers to my garden this year next to my tomatoes and around my herb garden has been very rewarding. If you have not tried Dahlias I highly recommend them! There’s still time to plant them before the summer heat sets in and I promise you will love the sturdiness and beauty of this amazing flower.
The photos below are the Sky Angel Purple Dahlia
Simple Care Guide for Growing and Caring for Dahlias:
→ Plant Dahlias in April and May with morning sun exposure and at least 6 hours of sunshine per day.
→ Plant 4-6″ Deep and 18″ apart. Do not water right away. Less water is better until sprouts have appeared. Since these flowers are planted in April and May the natural rainfall should suffice.
→ Use stakes for tall growing Dahlias over 3 feet.
→ I grow these in my vegetable garden since they both require the same type of fertilizer such as 5-10-10.
→ Dahlia bulbs are tubers. The dahlia plant can mature for years without benefit of seed or spores. To sprout the next season, each tuber must have one eye. This makes a great cut flower.